This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s downtown “bungalow neighborhoods.”
Click HERE to listen to Episode 334 of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1, which was recorded at Persimmon Hollow Brewing to try the new menu created by Cholo Dogs, which has taken over the kitchen.
*Some posts that link to third-party websites will have a paywall.
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- Ivanhoe Village-based tool-sharing warehouse, Factur, announced that it would close this past weekend. The building it’s called home for almost the past decade is scheduled to be demolished along with The Hideaway Bar to make room for another big project by The Yard at Ivanhoe developers.
- The folks over at WMFE and WMFV are hiring for a new local multiplatform show launching this fall and they need a new host for the program. Are you their next big talent?
- The Orlando Pet Alliance is hosting its 10th Annual My Best Friend Wine Label Contest and they want to see all of your adorable pet photos. The winning cat and dog will be featured on their own wine bottles.
- Motorworks Brewing was forced to close temporarily due to a random plumbing mishap. They are scheduled to reopen on Monday, July 10, and they’ll have $5 Irish Red Ale available for purchase all week.
- “Food and Drink: Chill Orlando neighborhood restaurants.” – Orlando Magazine
- “Orange County tourist tax tumbles again.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Town architect on biggest lessons learned from Baldwin Park’s success 20 years later.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Orlando off-duty officer arrested after speeding and fleeing from deputies.” – WSVN 7 Miami
- “10 annual Orlando [area] events that you cannot miss.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Moving in: Central Florida’s top ZIP codes.” – Orlando Weekly
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “As temps soar, federal assistance can help Central Florida seniors stay cool in their homes.” – 90.7 WMFE
- “Winter isn’t coming: Game of Thrones con, three others pull out of Orlando.” – 90.7 WMFE
- “Ask Bungalower: What’s a Baffle box and why are they all over the park?” – Bungalower
- “Orlando Magic promote new general manager.” – Bungalower
- “Peruvian restaurant opening on Park Avenue.” – Bungalower
- “Taylor Swift inspires two new food options this week.” – Bungalower
- “Vegan Food Festival returns to Wall Street, July 15.” – Bungalower
- “Police officer shoots, kills man in downtown Orlando, officials say.” – FOX 35
- “Saharan dust: Here’s when it arrives in Florida.” – FOX 35
- “Home-decor retailer Christmas Tree Shops expected to liquidate all stores, including Orlando-area location.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Lego-inspired burger restaurant pop-up Brick Burger headed to secret venue in Orlando.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Montana banned TikTok. Could Florida be next?” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Orange County hotel tax revenue should be used for this, according to poll.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “12 Orlando brunch spots with bottomless mimosas.” – Orlando Date Night Guide
- “UCF professor predicts college staffing shortages due to politics.” – Spectrum News 13
- “Conventions pull out from Central Florida citing ‘regressive legislation.’” – WFTV 9
Y’all look so colorful! What brings you downtown?
“We train service dogs and we’re taking this one around to teach him some tricks. These other two just got their hair done so we’re helping them show it off a bit and get some food. I’m a hair stylist but I didn’t do my own hair. Just the dogs.”
“That one is named Medulla Oblongata, because they’re the brain of the bunch. We love coming downtown.”
- “A new mayor, a broken city, and a chance for revival.” – Azure
- “Can a city feed itself?” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Riots in France expose decades of failure in tinderbox suburbs.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Phoenix to Beijing: Reimagining the world’s cities through AI’s eyes.” – Medium
- “Brevard County seeks contractor for new outdoor arts and events venue.” – Orlando Business Journal
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- Monday 7/10: Movie Monday – “Sharknado 3” at A La Cart (Milk District)
- Tuesday 7/11: Bungalower Drag Bingo and Music Video Dance Party (Baldwin Park)
- Wednesday 7/12: Summer Sidewalk Sale at Rifle Paper (Winter Park)
- Thursday 7/13: Popcorn Flicks in the Park – “Encino Man” (Winter Park)
- Friday 7/14: Parking Lot Party – Christmas in July at Wally’s Bar (Mills 50)