This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s downtown “bungalow neighborhoods.”
Click HERE to listen to Episode 352 of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1, which was recorded at the newly-opened Gravity Taproom in downtown’s North Quarter district. And be sure to check out our fancy new online event calendar!
*Some posts that link to third-party websites will have a paywall.
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- Orlando City Soccer is heading into a semi-final showdown on Thanksgiving weekend.
- Just over 16% of Orlando residents deigned to vote in the recent Orlando election, but 80% of the dudes at your local bar will be happy to tell you all about what’s wrong at City Hall.
- Orange County Government handed out $4 million in Tourist Tax dollars to local arts and culture organizations last week. Check out the list of receiving organizations in our story.
- Orange County Animal Services reopened for dog surrenders last week and they were immediately overwhelmed with new pups. They’re currently waving adoption fees for dogs that are fixed and ready for new homes.
- The owners of Freehand Goods and Hinckley’s Fancy Meats are joining forces to open a new collaborative concept in the former Graffiti Junktion space in College Park.
- Orlando has a new scooter company in town and their vehicles have bigger tires and a seat. So fancy.
- There’s no such thing as too many tacos, apparently! A new Mexican concept called Talkin’ Tacos is opening in the SoDo neighborhood.
- “Starting Nov. 10, Orlando music festival to bring influx of $130M in spending.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Orange County commissioners to examine Visit Orlando’s $100-million budget.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “What one Florida woman’s act of street ‘vandalism’ says about the sad state of pedestrian access in America.” – StreetsBlog USA
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “Residents continue pushback on Winter Park Commons plan.” – The 32789
- “Brightline hosting early Black Friday ticket sales.” – Bungalower
- “History Center issuing call for African-American craft artists.” – Bungalower
- “New shop bringing Czech-style soft serve ice cream to Orlando.” – Bungalower
- “Sofar Sounds is back with new series of secret concerts.” – Bungalower
- “Legacy citrus grove near Disney hits the market.” – GrowthSpotter
- “Orlando Magic CEO Alex Martins expects new Amway Center naming-rights deal.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “All the wild photos from EDC Orlando 2023.” – Orlando Weekly
- “The former Winter Park home of famed artist, Disney Imagineer Cicero Greathouse is now for sale.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Sofas and Suds couch race for local businesses returns to downtown Sanford this month.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Orange County firefighters share warning over fire danger while frying turkeys.” – WFTV 9
- “Florida ‘Margaritaville’ license plate is proposed to raise funds for Jimmy Buffett charity.” – WUSF
- “House of the Day: 3/2 South Conway home asking $410,000.”
- “House of the Day: 3/2 Audubon Park home with lake access asking $490,000.”
- “House of the Day: Designer 2/2 condo in Solaire at The Plaza hits the market, asking $435,000.”
- “Berlin says goodbye to its last Communist-era Metro trains.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Delhi could use artificial rain to subdue world’s most toxic air.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “A ‘Ghost River’ is unearthed in Baltimore.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Transit app shows rat activity on the NYC Subway.” – Laughing Squid
- “Detroit launches duplex repair program.” – Planetizen
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- ALL WEEK: Festival of Trees (Ivanhoe Village)
- Monday 11/13: Audubon Park Community Market (Audubon Park)
- Tuesday 11/14: Bungalower Drag Bingo (Baldwin Park)
- Tuesday 11/14: Bush – Nowhere To Go But Everywhere Tour (Out of Bounds)
- Tuesday 11/14: Brooklyn Nets vs. Orlando Magic (Parramore)
- Tuesday 11/14: “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” (Out of Bounds)
- Thursday 11/16: Deck the District: City District Annual Tree Lighting (Church Street)
- Thursday 11/16: Doing Business in Downtown Orlando (Downtown)
- Friday 11/17: Florida Blue Battle of the Bands (Parramore)
- Friday 11/17: Symphonic Disney (Downtown)