This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s downtown “bungalow neighborhoods.”
Click HERE to listen to Episode 324 of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1, which was recorded at High T, a new Alice in Wonderland-themed cocktail bar in downtown Orlando.
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- We, along with most of you, spent most of our week following the travels of a rogue black bear as it made its way through several downtown Orlando neighborhoods. It ended sadly, but has many residents calling for changes in how FWC deals with large wayward animals in urban areas.
- The team at Come Out With Pride is questioning the future of its annual Pride Parade in the face of some recently passed bills awaiting signatures from the governor that will make it essentially illegal for people to be in drag anywhere a minor may be, including along a parade route.
- On the flip side of that coin, is a restaurant owner who wrote an open letter to Anheuser-Busch about their pro “transgenderism” policies.
- Harry Buffalo closed its Church Street location this weekend so the building owner could carry out some much-needed renovations. Though we’re not sure if it’s to prep for something specific or if it’s meant to help find a new tenant.
- Milk District Main Street just named its new executive director.
- We’re hosting a belly flop contest on May 6 in Baldwin Park and you’re invited.
- Orlando Fringe is ramping up for a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the 2023 festival on May 16. They’re back with even more venues, including a couple on Church Street.
- “Orlando restaurateur pleads guilty to failing to pay over $2 million in taxes.” – WFTV 9
- “Central Florida Asian American community rallies against ‘Interests of Foreign Countries’ bills.” – WESH 2
- “‘Let’s get him home’: Orlando shelter dog with 100-day stay returned after short adoption.” – FOX 35
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “City loosens limits on old library reuse – but no food halls.” – The 32789
- “Alfond Inn shares summer opening date for expanded hotel.” – Bungalower
- “Creative City Project releases 2023-24 calendar of events.” – Bungalower
- “New restaurant signs lease for City Hall cafe space.” – Bungalower
- “Jones High senior becomes 1st athlete at school to get full-ride to Ivy League college.” – Click Orlando
- “Fun food events for April 29-May 12.” – Edible Orlando
- “Florida House backs measure to lower gun-buying age.” – FOX 35
- “Viral TikTok video shows chaotic scene as rat runs around Orlando International Airport terminal.” – FOX 35
- “Holy Land Experience theme park demolition underway to prep for new AdventHealth ER.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Pictures: 15th annual Winter Park Paint Out.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “UCF draft tracker: No Knights picked, multiple UDFAs sign with NFL teams.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Disney sues DeSantis, calling park takeover ‘retaliation.’” – Watermark
- “New eatery moving into Orlando City Hall.” – What Now Orlando
- “Rollins museum and grad school expansion win approval.” – Winter Park Voice
- “House of the Day: 4/3 Park Lake Highland home asking $875,000.”
- “House of the Day: 3/1 College Park home asking $315,000.”
- “Broke Chinese Gen Zs turn factory town into top tourist spot.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “China’s now spurning ‘ugliest buildings’ that symbolized its meteoric rise.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Car-free, mobility-rich urbanism becoming a reality.” – CNU
- “Piloting a new urban quarter in an African city.” – CNU
- “Recommended mobile apps for urban planning in 2023.” – Planetizen
- “How placemaking and social life are helping win the climate war – 11 ways.” – Social Life Project
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- Monday 5/1: Blacklist Babes Cabaret (Ivanhoe Village)
- Tuesday 5/2: Bungalower Drag Bingo and Music Video Dance Party (Baldwin Park)
- Tuesday 5/2: Golden Brick Awards (Downtown)
- Wednesday 5/3: 2023 State of the Village (Ivanhoe Village)
- Wednesday 5/3: CFL Teach-In and Banned Books Reading (Audubon Park)
- Thursday 5/4: SimplyIOA Corporate 5K (Downtown)
- Thursday 5/4: May the 4th – Star Wars Burlesque (College Park)
- Thursday 5/4: Park Across the Pond Art Fest (Winter Park)
- Friday 5/5: 16th Annual Derby Day 4 Autism (Orlando)
- Friday 5/5: Cinco on the Street – Cinco de Mayo Street Party (Thornton Park)
- Friday 5/5: Movie Night at Leu – Black Panther 2 (Audubon Park)