This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s downtown “bungalow neighborhoods.”
Click HERE to listen to Episode 331 of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1, which was recorded at Kelly’s Homemade Ice Cream in Audubon Park.
*Some posts that link to third-party websites will have a paywall.
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- Orange County Government is hosting a whole series of community events to hear how you think we should be growing through 2050. We can’t guarantee they’ll listen, but if you speak clearly, and loudly, it’ll definitely help, right?
- The Dr. Phillips Center just released renderings for a Phase 3 of development that would completely redo its front courtyard greenspace and transform it into something kind of fantastic … and expensive.
- A LYMMO bus driver lost control and crashed their vehicle into a bus shelter just outside of the Orange County Courthouse in downtown Orlando. Apparently, their “foot got stuck.”
- You may have noticed that street lights around the city are turning purple and we’re here to tell you it’s not related to Orlando City Soccer.
- A new German restaurant is opening in downtown Orlando in the former home of Neon Beach.
- The Orlando Repertory Theatre just changed its name to Orlando Family Stage, reaffirming its children-centric programming.
- The former “Ernest Saves Christmas” home site has been completely transformed and a new home on the property just hit the market asking almost $2 million.
- “These cities have the lowest cost of living in the Orlando area.” – FOX 35
- “Orange County reality personality’s $300K Bentley was reportedly stolen from Icon Park valet.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Discover the 7 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods in Orlando.” – West Palm Beach News
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “Inside Winter Park’s Smart City community meeting.” – The 32789
- “Rollins baseball caps off historic season.” – The 32789
- “Downtown Orlando shoe shop moves to Winter Park.” – Bungalower
- “Ravenous Pig undergoing summertime design revamp.” – Bungalower
- “Orlando man arrested for defrauding Amazon of $40,000 for intentionally returning the wrong items.” – FOX 35
- “Beefy King celebrates 55 years in Orlando.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Halloween Horror Nights to feature ‘The Last of Us’ game in 2023 house.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Couple arrested after Orange County car thefts at valet parking areas.” – WESH 2
- “Tropical depression likely to form this week, NHC says.” – WESH 2
Hi! What’s your name?
Hi, I’m Hailey!
What do you do, Hailey?
“I’m in the Coast Guard. For a little while longer anyway. haha But I love it, don’t read anything into that.”
That’s cool! Are you local? Where do you live?
“I live right in SoDo. It’s too hot to bike or anything so I drove today. But I love walking around when I get here.”
Why are you downtown?
“It’s my favorite thing to do on Sunday mornings. The farmers market. I do it every weekend. I get the sprouts, and my arepa, and my flowers. This Sunday I got a plant too, so I’m excited. My favorite thing downtown is the food and I love all of it. World of Beer and The Dust, and Craft and Common are my favorite.”
- “A guide to TV’s best modern design cameos.” – Azure Magazine
- “Paris plans to plant trees that can survive climate change.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Sustainable design of the future is hiding in the past.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Under a Denver highway, artists find space for the surreal.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “NPR travel personality talks ‘walkable cities.’” – CNU
- “Why we need Queer Urbanism.” – Planning.org
- “Japan’s newest vending machines are stocked for disaster relief.” – Reasons To Be Cheerful
- “The Portland art of Feel-Good Densification.” – Reasons To Be Cheerful
- “6/7 Lakefront estate and Airbnb compound asking $1,500,000.”
- “4/4 College Park Mid-century home asking $890,000.”
- “3/2 College Park home asking $650,000.”
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- Monday 6/19: Gordon Lightfoot at DPAC (Downtown)
- Tuesday 6/20: Bungalower Drag Bingo and Music Video Dance Party (Baldwin Park)
- Tuesday 6/20: Celebrate Women at Stardust Coffee (Audubon Park)
- Wednesday 6/21: An Evening of Petite Sorcery (and Music) (Audubon Park)
- Wednesday 6/21: Orlando City SC vs. Philadelphia Union (Parramore)
- Thursday 6/22: MST presents Gabbie Goob (Thornton Park)
- Friday 6/23: Afro Love – 6-Year Afroversary (Downtown)
- Friday 6/23: Opening Reception – (un)Common Faith (Maitland)
- Friday 6/23: Parking Lot Party at RockPit Brewing (SoDo)