This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s downtown “bungalow neighborhoods.”
Click HERE to listen to Episode 342 of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1, recorded at the recently opened Primrose Lanes in the Milk District.
*Some posts that link to third-party websites will have a paywall.
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- Hurricane Idalia made landfall near Tampa and completely skirted around Central Florida, with just under 20 power outages reported by the City of Orlando. The City of Winter Park reported an uneventful evening as well, with no reports of flooding – which is likely due to all of their recent investments in updating their stormwater systems.
- The cleanup of the wonky scaffolding in downtown Orlando progressed far enough to let downtown businesses reopen to the public last week. Some of them were forced to close for over three weeks when the scaffolding started to pull away from a building at the corner of Orange Avenue Church Street.
- A number of LGBTQ-related murals in the Mills 50 District were defaced last week by local taggers but they were almost immediately repaired and restored with the hard work of a crew of local volunteers, including City Commissioner Patty Sheehan.
- Red Bull is returning to Lake Ivanhoe with its Double or Nothing wakeboarding competition. This year’s event has a $10,000 prize package and will take place in Gaston Edwards Park on September 16.
- Enzian Theater is hosting the annual Cat Video Festival once again. The touring fest features the best-rated cat videos on the internet from the previous year and raises funds for local adoption agencies.
- Market on South is launching a new Vegan Glow Party series this Friday featuring festival-gear, vendors, DJs, and vegan vendors.
- “Body camera footage reveals arrest of Orlando deputy for alleged street racing.” – WSVN
- “Florida officials warn contaminated gas could damage cars. Here’s where it was sold.” – Click Orlando
- “Nazis swarm Walt Disney World, protest in front of thousands.” – Inside The Magic
- “My updated Orlando Breakfast Guide.” – Lemonhearted
Where do you live?
How often do you come downtown?
I would say we come maybe twice a month- mostly for Orlando City and Orlando Pride games.
Are there any other places you like to go downtown?
Lake Eola (we walk around there a lot) and go to all the food festivals. We’ve been to the Amway Center for different events, and Sak’s Comedy Lab- that place is hilarious! We also go to church at First Baptist Orlando.
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “Orlando-based entrepreneur, richest Jamaican woman in the world, chronicles abuse and poverty in new memoir.” – CNW
- “Winter Park exploring policy changes aimed at bringing new development to West Fairbanks corridor.” – GrowthSpotter
- “Electric cars soaked by saltwater from hurricane go up in flames, Florida officials say.” – Miami Herald
- “Florida Citrus Sports names Simon Dover its new CFO.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Orlando expects $30 million economic impact from LSU/FSU college football kickoff.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “SunRail kicks off construction on DeLand route expansion and train station renovations.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Florida hunters capture 920-pound gatorzilla in Orlando-area lake.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Brightline delays Orlando service through Sept. 21.” – WESH 2
- “Tropical Storm Katia weakening.” – WESH 2
- “Florida allows taxpayer-funded ‘school choice’ vouchers to pay for kayaks, Disney tickets.” – WFTV 9
- “Radical Dreamer: Jane Jacobs on the Streets of Toronto.” – Azure
- “9 Smart Ways to Make Cities Better.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “How a tiny Mexican border city built a budget dental empire.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Trapped in mud, Burning Man attendees are told to conserve food.” – The New York Times
- “New plan aims to revive downtown San Francisco.” – Planetizen
- “The future of cities, according to the experts.” – Vox
- “What ever happened to the Tiny House Movement?” – Wired
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- Tuesday 9/5: Bungalower Drag Bingo and Music Video Dance Party (Baldwin Park)
- Tuesday 9/5: Loose Lips – The September Edition (Mills 50)
- Wednesday 9/7: Zach Williams – A Hundred Highways Tour (Downtown)
- Thursday 9/8: Romance, Wine, and Chocolate (Chickasaw)
- Friday 9/8 – Vegan Glow Party at Market on South(Milk District)