This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s downtown “bungalow neighborhoods.”
Click HERE to listen to Episode 340 of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1, recorded at Fairvilla Megastore on Orange Blossom Trail for their Fairvilla University “Back to School” event showcase.
*Some posts that link to third-party websites will have a paywall.
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- Orlando Museum of Art is suing its former director and the co-owners of the infamously fake Basquiat paintings and we can’t stop wondering who will star in the inevitable Netflix special.
- United Arts of Central Florida has moved out of its original offices in a boring Maitland office park and into College Park. Here’s hoping they adopt the Edgewater Drive corridor and start “arting it up.”
- Another multistory tower is in the works for Ivanhoe Village, leaving many residents wondering how many more cars Orange Avenue and Virginia Drive can carry.
- Orange County-sponsored FusionFest is hosting a special Fijian dinner this month and Bungalower Buddy members can get $10 tickets with a special code we sent out last week.
- Longtime Parramore-based nonprofit New Image Youth Center is getting a new home care of a large grant from Heart of United Way.
- Kappy’s Subs in Maitland has joined the local food program at Exploria Stadium and will launch a new food stall later this month. Expect cheesesteaks.
- “Winter Park’s bid for Bank of the Ozarks land may have new life.” – The 32789
- “Aldi acquires Winn-Dixie supermarkets, plans to convert some Florida stores.” – Orlando Weekly
- “‘Construction project gone wrong.’ Feuding I-4 builders are heading to court.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Orlando debuts new free self-driving SWAN shuttles in downtown’s Creative Village.” – Orlando Weekly
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “Leigh Shannon and Hamburger Mary’s part ways.” – Bungalower
- “Multifamily project planned for vacant Park Lake Highland property.” – Bungalower
- “New healthcare clinic to be built near Baldwin Park.” – Bungalower
- “Visit Orlando’s Magical Dining returns this week.” – Bungalower
- “Downtown Orlando arts and music venue Plaza Live lands $7M in Orange County hotel tax funding.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Orlando to make lots available for affordable housing development.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “‘American Ninja Warrior’ final features three Orlando contestants.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Pro wrestler Cash Wheeler arrested on assault charge.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Warrior Games return to Orlando in 2024 with adaptive sports for military members.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Abortion rights advocates launch fundraiser to benefit Orlando clinic fined by the state.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Historic Plaza Live rooftop spire removed, more changes to come during renovation.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Why Massey Services’ CEO bought the Linda’s Winter Park Diner property.” – WFTV 9
- “Winter Park wants to grow its downtown redevelopment district.” – Winter Park Voice
- “House of the Day: 4/3 Wadeview Park home asking $1,125,000.”
- “House of the Day: 5/4 College Park home asking $1,200,000.”
- “Two projects transforming Prague into a skateboarding hub.” – Azure
- “Beijing’s cemeteries are going vertical and digital to save space.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “How bad has ride-hailing been for cities?” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Maui wildfires show that risk is ubiquitous now.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “For this nonprofit, commercial ground floors are places where microbusinesses can thrive.” – Next City
- “Bring back the corner store.” – Planetizen
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- Tuesday 8/22: Bungalower Drag Bingo and Music Video Dance Party (Baldwin Park)
- Tuesday 8/22: Cult Classics – Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome (Maitland)
- Wednesday 8/23: Architecture on Tap + 1 (Ivanhoe Village)
- Thursday 8/24: Mystery Sketch Theatre – Luci Le’Claire (Thornton Park)
- Friday 8/25: Bikes, Bars, and Bites Crawl (Milk District)
- Friday 8/25: Halloween Forever – Mythk Brewing and Prometheus Esoterica Pumpkin Ale Collab Drop and Tap Feature (Audubon Park)
- Friday 8/25: Parking Lot Party at Wally’s Bar (Mills 50)