This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s downtown “bungalow neighborhoods.”
Click HERE to listen to Episode 330 of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1, which was recorded at Quesa Loco, on Fairbanks Avenue next to Mediterranean Deli, with special guest, Biggie, from Deli Fresh Threads.
*Some posts that link to third-party websites will have a paywall.
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- A juvenile black bear wandered into Lake Eola last week and into our hearts. Boo-Boo the Bear, as the mayor called him, spent three days evading traps and government officials before giving into his cravings and falling for some donut-laden bait. He was hauled off to Ocala, to join an alleged teddy bear picnic.
- Beefy King is celebrating its 55th anniversary this week and you’re invited.
- Foxtail Coffee is signing a lease for the gift shop in Leu Gardens and City Council is voting on it today. They’ll run a coffee counter with food and a revamped gift shop.
- Winter Garden’s Main House Market is moving to Orlando due to ongoing issues with their city hall and moving into the recently vacated Market on South building in the Milk District. Replacing one vegan market with another. Former Market on South tenants, Valhalla Bakery, have opened a new restaurant at the former Fort Pitt on Old Cheney Highway.
- Linda’s Winter Park Diner, one of the oldest restaurants in Central Florida, is closing at the end of July. If you were hoping something similar would be moving in, forget it, as the aforementioned Linda told Bungalower the buyer had no interest in another restaurant in the building.
- Orange County Library System’s new Summer at Your Library initiative is celebrating literacy and learning, which are two of our favorite things.
- “Lionel Messi’s Inter Miami move causes ticket price surge throughout MLS.” – The Athletic
- “Orange County issues mosquito advisory for deadly disease.” – 90.7 WMFE
- “Pictures: Holy Land Experience Demolition.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Street artist trolls Ron DeSantis with guerrilla “Say Gay” campaign in Orlando.” – Yahoo News
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- ”Orange County has a mental health problem, here’s what the county plans to do.” 90.7 WMFE
- “City schedules neighborhood meeting about old library reuse.” – The 32789
- “Three new tenants set to open at Winter Park Village.” – The 32789
- “Kaya and Otto’s High Dive have had a mezcal baby.” – Bungalower
- “Ivanhoe Park Brewing brings back adult summer camp challenge.” – Bungalower
- “New grab-and-go street food restaurant opening in Mills 50.” – Bungalower
- “El Nino is officially here: Here’s what that means for hurricane season.” – Click Orlando
- “This is how much you need to make to afford rent in Florida, study says.” – FOX 35
- “Orlando mayor on allure of Ivanhoe Village.” – FOX 35
- “Winter Garden’s MoonCricket Grille thought to be mocking Pulse victims with 49-cent Bud Light promo.” – Orlando Weekly
- “2 conventions leaving Orlando due to new laws ‘inflicting harms’ on LGBTQ+ community, organizers say.” – WESH 2
- “Travelers at Orlando International Airport deal with impacts of smoke from Canada wildfires.” – WESH 2
- “Central Florida school districts need to fill more than 200 open bus driver positions.” – WFME 90.7
- “Rock Springs at Kelly Park remain closed due to “gator activity.” – WMFE 90.7
- “Paris plans to plant trees that can survive climate change.” – Bloomberg CityLabs
- “US public transit systems face credit downgrades as riders stay away.” – Bloomberg CityLabs
- “New York City’s latest specialty libraries for design obsessives.” – New York Magazine
- “What New York should do next time there’s smoke.” – New York Magazine
- “Detroit mayor proposes vacant lot tax.” – Planetizen
- “Jersey City achieved zero traffic deaths on its streets. Here’s how they did it.” – Strong Towns
- “Planner sues Wauwatosa for approving storage units in walkable downtown.” – Strong Towns
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- ALL WEEK: Wes Anderson Week at Enzian Theater (Maitland)
- Monday 6/12: CityArt’s In-Between Series – Derek Dunn (Downtown)
- Monday 6/12: Seven-Year Pulse Remembrance Ceremony (Downtown)
- Tuesday 6/13: Bungalower Drag Bingo and Music Video Dance Party (Baldwin Park)
- Tuesday 6/13: Paramore – North America Tour (Parramore)
- Wednesday 6/14: Orange County Juneteenth and Greek Day Celebration (Downtown)
- Friday 6/16: The Dresden Dolls (Downtown)
- Friday 6/16: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Downtown)